Re: Local food systems

John Anthony Hendrickson (jhendrik@vms2.macc.wisc.edu)
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 15:41:45 -0600

Steve,

Regional Food Systems (RFS) is now a central program emphasis at the Center
for Integrated Agricultural Systems. We are a relatively small research and
communications outfit at the University of Wisconsin and we tend to focus on
issues facing small and mid-sized farms. Past and current research areas
include: energy use in the food system, Community Supported Agriculture,
rotational grazing, and alternative marketing.

We launched our RFS program two years ago by conducting a "regional food
systems seminar" that brought together University faculty and
representatives of various sectors of the food system to explore regionally
self-reliant food systems. The final report from this seminar - "Regional
Food Systems Research: Needs Priorities and Recommendations" - is available
free (see contact information below...email requests preferred). We also
have a small but growing number of research briefs published that cover RFS
issues, including:

-A series on CSA
-A series on energy use in the food system
-Case studies of alternative farming/marketing/value-added enterprises

You likely would be most interested in a brief about the Coulee Region
Organic Produce Pool (CROPP) a successful coop marketing organic dairy
products, eggs, and vegetables. In process are case studies of Home Grown
Wisconsin (a co-op organized by organic vegetable farmers and Madison chefs)
and the River Valley Kitchen Project (a multiple-use food processing
facility that could potentially serve many growers). To learn more about
Home Grown Wisconsin, visit the Center for Coops' web page at
http://www.wisc.edu/uwcc

You can learn more about CIAS at: http://www.wisc.edu/cias

Local food systems are getting more and more attention these days. I have
files and files of stuff... One thing you should definitely check out is a
soon-to-be-published report by Fenton Wilkinson in Washington titled:
"Sustainable Community Food Systems Economic Feasiblity Study." It brings
together much of what is currently known.

Good luck with your efforts! Eat well. -John

At 09:46 AM 1/22/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Discussions on this list often focus on negative conditions in the ecosystem
>and in our culture. And, certainly, there are many of those situations to
>discuss. I would like to focus on strategies for building community food
>systems that support local and regional growers, strengthen rural economies,
>and, probably most importantly, provide urban residents access to fresh,
>minimally processed food. Although, local processing and packaging is an
>important consideration in building community food systems.
>
>These goals are an important part of our strategy to build sustainable
>systems in Indiana. We are always looking for more information on what
>others are doing and what literature sources are available. We would like to
>build more market infrastructure (increase the effectiveness of farmers'
>markets, establish wholesale markets and marketing pools, etc.) in our quest
>to boost the sustainability of family style farming. Another facet of our
>strategy is to involve cooperative extension in this process.
>
>Any contributions (real examples and literature citations) would be
>appreciated. I'll accept philosophical considerations only if you will agree
>to receive two shovelfuls or each one you toss.
>Regards,
>

>Steve Bonney, President
>Indiana Sustainable Agriculture Association
>100 Georgton Ct.
>W. Lafayette IN 47906
>(317) 463-9366, fax (317) 497-0164
>email sbonney@holli.com

John Hendrickson
Center for Integrated Agricultural Systems
University of Wisconsin-Madison
1450 Linden Drive, Room 146
Madison, WI 53706
jhendric@macc.wisc.edu