YOUR OPINION? Scientists' effect on biodiversity legislation (fwd)

Eric D Nash (ednS94@hamp.hampshire.edu)
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 02:14:08 -0500 (EST)

Date: 22 Jan 1997 22:54:50 GMT
From: Student User <clc@mail.utexas.edu>
Newsgroups: bionet.plants
Subject: YOUR OPINION? Scientists' effect on biodiversity legislation

I'm a law student at the University of Texas. I'm going to write a paper
this semester about laws relating to biodiversity.

I believe that, when scientists influence the writing of such laws --
either as consultants, paid lobbyists, or active political workers --
they have a negative effect. It seems to me, admittedly early in my
research, that scientists frequently move the direction of such laws
towards an otherworldly, elitist overprotectiveness far removed from the
needs and wants of the local constituency.

Would anyone care to share their feelings about this with me? I would
welcome that. I'm at j.fischer@mail.utexas.edu.