Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 14:57:24 -0700
From: Sun Country Realty <sunctry@methow.com>
To: Ecobalance list <ecobalance@gaia.org>
Subject: RE: Hemp, paper etc.

chris wrote:
>In Europe now all seeds to be sold have to have an owner - ie old
>"traditional" seeds cannot be sold, someone has to have the "rights" to this
>particular seed first!!! Totally mad according to me. Also all batches of
>seed to be sold have to be tested for germination by a state authority, very
>expensive, so small firms specializing in not-so-common seeds are no longer
>economically viable.
>Fortunately there are small (revolutionary, anarchistic?) organisations
>where the members are allocated certain species and grow them so the seed
>will not die out. As soon as I get the time I will take on one or two
>species, maybe in 10 years time....

Please don't wait to start saving seed, the time is now, 10 years will be
too late, many strains extinct.  The US just forced that same kind of
agreement on India regarding patented seeds, etc. through world trade
agreements.

Save open pollinated seeds for you and your community. blessings....michelle