certification

Hi all
There is a feeling of injustice amongst some of the posts on this issue. Sal
has been prominent in criticizing  the impact on small growers - in this
case organic growers.
Organic growers are not alone in being asked to provide evidence/meet
standards on their food production methods and facilities. We are not small
by the standards discussed( but with 3 ha of culinary herbs we're not very
big either by market garden standards) nor are we organic. But we re being
asked to provide evidence of our methods and to meet a standard known here
in Australia as SQF 2000, derived from ISO 9000 series. The request is
coming  from the supermarkets, yes but it is coming more fundamentally from
the community.
Now some on SANET may feel it entirely just that conventional farmers should
send documentation with a consignment of food about the methods and
substances used in its growing. Consider though that the same question could
be ( and may already be asked) of organic producers who sell to large
retailers.  The SQF 2000 process is also very concerned about bacterial
contamination. It is clear that our packing shed will need to meet the
standards of any food handling or preparation establishment - like a
restaurant.
It isn't going to be easy at all. Our greatest concern is e. coli
contamination. The rainwater we use to mist the bunches in the coldroom
could be contaminated by bird droppings. Our irrigation water comes from a
dam which collects runoff from pasture on which cattle graze and may well be
contaminated. The solution is not obvious. The costs of upgrading seem
large, and those of maintaining the records/accreditation unending. There is
no immediate prospect of recovering the extra expense either. These concerns
are not ones which organic growers can excuse themselves from in the long term.
Several people have pointed out that using the term organic on produce
implies a guarantee which needs, for the consumers sake, to be clear and
reliable. It is the same for conventional growers when they deal in the
central market. And it is entirely understandable. The impact of this is
however to polarize production  even more between larger growers servicing
anonymous urban markets, and very small growers who service people they meet
face to face and with whom they discuss the food quality issue. The
oppportunity to grow from small to large is becoming more difficult. Even
staying the same middle size is getting harder.
David
David Hine
Sustainable Farm Design Works
Atkins Rd, Cawongla