Re: comments on UDSA/NOP cost and benefits to organic farmersand handlers -Reply

I presume that the standards will apply to imported organic produce as
well.   As long as there is a significant price differential between
conventionally (chemically) produced food and organic product, there
will be incentive for foreign suppliers to penetrate US markets.   If the
market for organic foods continues to expand at the rate it has been for
the past decade, it will undoubtedly attract the interest of more and more
foreign suppliers.    How will certification of offshore organic producers
be controlled/assured?
I have little faith in the ability of some (developing?) countries to enforce
honest certification.   Unfortunately, I suspect the burden of proof might
be on the US.   That is, the US might be in contravention of international
trade rules if it tried to close the border to foreign-source organic
products.   But, how would US inspectors or consumers be able to
assure that these goods were really produced by acceptable, organic
methods?
I welcome knowledgeable feedback to satisfy my curiosity.
BOB
rdmacgregor@gov.pe.ca