Re: comments onUSDA/NOP cost and benefits to organic farmers and handlers

>Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 20:01:18 -0700
>To: dhinds@ucol.mx, sal <sals@rain.org>
>From: sal <sals@rain.org>
>Subject: Re: comments onUSDA/NOP cost and benefits to organic farmers
>  and handlers
>

>>> He says there is are people
>>> selling organic that are lying. This may be true.
>>
>>There are even people selling truely organic lying.

Sal said== I don't know what you mean by this .  If you grow organic you
are not lying.

>>But there is a constitutional issue here.  No one -  government
>>included, can rightfully appropriate the use a common word (like organic
>>or natural) in or out of commerce, nor mandate certification of a claim
>>that may well be true on it's own merit, just as buyers can not be
>>prohibited from buying only organic products certified by the ISIO (I
>>Swear It's Organic) organization instead of non-certified organic, if
>>that's what they choose to do.

Sal said =Boy I hope you are right. But my experience is that the commerce
and buyers  I deal with
>now want that organic regestration number to protect themselfs and even if
>they know you and you have been doing business for years with them you have
>to have the number. I checked and found it to be so even now before the
fed. law happens. .    I
>wish the darn certifiers would have been able to agree so all this crap
>would not have to happen.  All the people I have sold too trusted my
>certifier and I was a happy camper now it is getting nuts. It is funny now
>as an organic farmers I get an extra tax by the state and have to register
>like a sex offender and have no privacy rights like a convicted felon and I
>need to pay a third party to confirm my  honesty and this is before the fed
>law comes in to play.  It seem like if you play by the rules they sock it
to you and treat you like you were doing something wrong growing organic.
.  The trouble is organic  is now such
>big bussiness and means so much money to all these folks that the small
farmer can no longer play.