Re: SMALLFARM-MG> Organic Produce -Reply

On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, Grace J Gershuny wrote:

> Thank you, Cissy, for stating clearly and compassionately the truth of the
> situation.  Those of us going crazy waiting for the proposed rule to finally
> come out bless you for your words.

The one who clearly and compassionately stated the truth of the sitiuation
is noone other than Sal. His situation in California is a shining example
of government beaureaucratic gerrymandering in action. The small
grower (farmer) was deliberately left out of the picture in order to
further help large agribusiness gain the advantage and shove him
out of the marketplace. This is what OFMA will do - UNLESS:
the smallfarm exemption is raised to about $40,000 or certification
is made much less costly and time consuming.

Sanet-mg is the place where those who should read what Sal is reporting
can. I hope they are are listening to what he is saying and are broadening
their view of organic agriculture in the US and of who actually
contributes to that sector of the economy beyond large scale farms and
factory farms; lots of small farmers count for lots of production, lots of
healthy customers, more community building, more land farmed sustainably
and a cleaner, less polluted environment.

Small growers in my area are dropping out of certification and will
seek clients who don't require that - too expensive and way too much
trouble. All because  our government says that they can't necessarily
be trusted when they claim their product is organically grown.

Lawrence London
london@sunSITE.unc.edu

Follow-Ups: References: