Re: SMALLFARM-MG> Organic Produce -Reply

I don't see how they can stop us organic growers from using the word
organic as we have for 6000 years.  <bigger>Manufacturers should be able
to tell customers how

their products are produced and customers should have a right to

information that allows them to make an informed choice." and organic
growers have a rights to honestly inform customers about the

contents of their products.

The organic grower should not have to pay one extra cent to grow and sell
organic to his customers if it is. </bigger>>>$5000 gross does not make a
small farm and is a bull shit ploy to justify their tax on the poor.and
the small business man. <bigger>

Look at this

</bigger>Ben and Jerry's filed suit against Illinois, the largest of
the

>>states disallowing the labeling, and against the City of Chicago.
They

>>were joined by other dairy retailers including Stonyfield Farms,
Whole

>>Foods Markets and The Organic Valley which contend that the States

>>action violated companies rights to honestly inform customers about
the

>>contents of their products.

>>On August 14, the companies won their suit.  Perry Odak, the CEO of
Ben

>>and Jerrys  said, "We regret that the State of Illinois forced us
into

>>a legal resolution of this matter. However, this is a fundamentally

>>important issue. <bigger>Manufacturers should be able to tell customers
how

>>their products are produced and customers should have a right to

>>information that allows them to make an informed choice."

</bigger>>>"Legal Settlement Clears Way For National Anti-rBGH Label,"
BEN &

>>JERRYS PRESS RELEASE, August 14, 1997; Beth Berselli, "Settlement

>>Reached in Hormone Labeling Case," WASHINGTON POST, August 15, 1997.At
11:47 PM 10/20/97 -0400, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

 shining example

>of government beaureaucratic gerrymandering in action. The small

>grower (farmer) was deliberately left out of the picture in order to

>further help large agribusiness gain the advantage and shove him

>out of the marketplace. This is what OFMA will do - UNLESS:

>the smallfarm exemption is raised to about $40,000 or certification

>is made much less costly and time consuming.

What do they expect from the state of Ca.  the man they got for the job
is an enforcer and his job is to enforce this bull shit law. He make no
bones about it he is an enforcer .  It is a police action and he does not
give a dam about what organic is or what it is about as he is there for
one reason and one reason only and that is as an enforcer.  You know like
the Mafia has enforcers the government has enforcers . their only job is
to investigate organic growers and catch them up and hang them high in
the town square for all to see. and what do you think the USDA is ?  It
is even more  police action against all organic farmers and the poor
organic farmer has to pay out of his own funds every year to prove he is
honest.  I think we should shift the burden of proof to the state and to
the Feds to prove we are not organic instead of us paying every year
,year after year to show we are not doing anything wrong.  They got it
backwards again.

  >Sanet-mg is the place where those who should read what Sal is
reporting

>can. I hope they are are listening to what he is saying and are
broadening

>their view of organic agriculture in the US and of who actually

>contributes to that sector of the economy beyond large scale farms and

>factory farms; lots of small farmers count for lots of production, lots
of

>healthy customers, more community building, more land farmed
sustainably

>and a cleaner, less polluted environment.

>Small growers in my area are dropping out of certification and will

>seek clients who don't require that - too expensive and way too much

>trouble. All because  our government says that they can't necessarily

>be trusted when they claim their product is organically grown.

I find the same thing here Lawrence.  they are running from organic
certification because they do not want to be part of a big  State  and
now Federal investagation,audit,walk-though ,and extra taxes and paper
work  and other police actions against them just because they are
growing organic food.  I am starting to talk with a lot of organic
growers that hate what is going on as this is an  unjust law and burdens
folks that are not doing anything wrong.  I grow organic and I feel that
is all I have to do to be organic is grow organic the rest is bull shit.
That is a old farmers term.  BULL SHIT  and the farmer haul another load
away and from the <bigger>smell </bigger>you can tell it was not Hey.
<bigger>This Smells ! </bigger>It is a big police action against organic
growers while the persecutors are the one that  promote menthol bromine
and pesticide spraying, herbicides in our drinking water etc. They  have
it  backwords. instead of inspecting organic growers for what they are
<bigger>not</bigger> using inspect the chemical farmers for what they
<bigger>are</bigger> using.

Resolution r-8634 Regarding the establishment of a open dialogue to
address the protection of urban uses and organic farming operations from
the intrusion of pesticides used in conventional agricultural actives and
the conflicts between biologically based organically-based farming
operations and conventional farming practies.

Organic farmers also have a right to farm.  and we strongly believe that
urban uses and biologically/organically-based farming operations needs
protection from the adverse effects associated with pesticide drift.

you know I have some sweet kiwi growing on a fence that borders a
conventional farm and I have to give up my land and have a border around
my small land where I can not sell my crop because the farm next to me
may contaminate me.  I think they should have the border around the
conventional  farm and make sure I don't get any drift also the state
that takes my money also can spray pesticide on me anytime they call for
a any  spray  program.  So we are paying the people that are spraying us.
 How can i support these folks I don't support.  They have a map to my
place and I say if they are going to tax me for growing organic they
should never ever spray me with pesticides. I have a right to farm too.

sanet-mg".