TH: Tree Planting Soil Volume etc.

Regarding Planting Pits and planting on construction altered sites, I
learned of an article at a seminar I attended last year.  The article is in
Journal of Arboriculture 18(2) "Bringing Order to the Technical Dysfunction
within the Urban Forest"  by James Urban -- Urban and Associates,
Annapolis, Maryland.

Some good technical info on planting in less than optimal conditions such
as designing and engineering planting pits, volume requirements for
planting pits, planting in compacted soils etc.

But with this good info and expertise, I think the conclusion says it all:
 " The state of urban forestry must continue to evolve if successful urban
forests are to be grown and maintained.  New partnerships and institutions
will have to be forged and new standards will have to be set.  Much of the
technical information we currently rely on will have to be set aside in
favor of new ideas that will be based on research and documented
experience.  The protocol for tree planting detail design outlined above is
only one small step in this process."

Excellent bibliography with article. Look it up!

J. L. Johnson

J L. Johnson
johns345@maroon.tc.umn.edu

"Your Future is just your Past waiting to happen."
      "Now Here"  or "No Where"?  Your Choice.

by: J. Cruickshank
    Loveland, Colorado