TH: Community Forestry and Ecologies Please Post

 Post-To: Tree-House@Majordomo.Flora.Com (Community Forestry) ----------
 -------
Hello Folks

I find myself becoming increasingly concerned about the irresponsible
use of pesticided in all and particularly the urban environment. I
worked for a number of years as a part time pesticide applicator for
several reputable companies in two states. These locations were
seperated by 1500 miles yet all the reputable companies I worked for
insisted I blanket spray every sq. inch of plant even if no serious
pests were present. In all cases we filled out the appropriate reports
indicating I sprayed for aphids, weeds, etc..

As a municipal arborist for the past 15 years I have worked very hard to
find alternative methods of controling pests in urban trees. I have
fought gypsy moth with bacteria and fungi and elm leaf beetles with
wasps and bacteria etc... and in all cases have found long term
solutions to problems the pesticide applicators and pesticide companies
insist must be fought with chemicals.

Afew days ago a landscape care company gave my associate an evaluation
of the associates yard. He claims the maple needs two treatments for
gypsy moth (none present and declining in area), lawn needed fert. and
week control twice per year(only afew weeds). In short he encounter
showed that that major company has not changed tactics in 15 years. I
use this example of what other friends of mine have encountered with
many companies over many years.

How do we get pesticide application companies to behave in a responsible
manner, and get customers to accept the less than perfect lawns and bug
free plants?