Re: TH: Usenet news: sci.environment.forests ? (fwd)

 Post-To: Tree-House@Majordomo.Flora.Com (Community Forestry) ----------
 -------
At 08:05 AM 5/12/97 -0400, you wrote:
> Post-To: Tree-House@Majordomo.Flora.Com (Community Forestry) ----------
> -------
>yikes, after all this now talk of splitting off!  please, there is only so
>much surfing to be done.  i love this listserv and the idea of the new forum
>is interesting but a split-off to accomodate?  better to put it all in the
>name in the first place!  be inclusive!

Dear Grow19;
I know it seems like a split off, but what we are really doing is helping
attract the MANY MORE who do not now participate. I think our subscribers
and contributors WILL INCREASE and the CONTENT will grow. I just started
dabbling in this computer stuff but already see the potential to communicate
in an effective, inclusive manner that snail mail, telephone, FAXES and face
to face means do not accomodate. Once professional and popular society begin
to understand the potential of computer communication, I don't think we will
be concerned with "split offs" diminishing our postings. Indeed, the concern
will be on how to read it all. Already software is being marketed that will
read and filter all listserves, newsgroups, web sites, etc that you want to
keep up with. You will get as much of it as you want, tailored to your
specified preferences. You will be the one who determines inclusiveness or
exclusiveness, NOT the group names. The names will become nothing more than
organizing points for a computer search. That is why the Usenet folks insist
on strict naming conventions from the beginning. You will be glad they did!
You will soon be able to instruct your computer to filter for the "tree"
stuff and lo and behold, TreeHouse will be there! I will search for "urban
forests" stuff and TreeHouse will be there too! (Thanks Richard!) Best of
both worlds. Welcome to the Information Age!
Shaub
Shaub Dunkley
2608 University Dr.
Durham NC 27707