Re: TH: Perennials & Annuals around Trees ...

 Post-To: Tree-House@Majordomo.Flora.Com (Community Forestry) ----------
 -------
 On Fri, 30 May 1997, Lisa Schreibman wrote: ---------------------------

> I ramble about the compacted condition because one of the bigger problems
> that trees in NYC have is getting water.  Heavily compacted soil absorbs
> about as much water as cement.  Hence keeping the soil loosened helps the
> trees.  This may be an argument for annuals which need more digging in and
> out than perennials.
>
> Lisa
> New York City

 Hi Lisa -

 Thanks for another great posting from NYC's Guerilla Gardens, and for
 the chance for me to correct my errant spelling of 'perennials' - oops.

 (Computer programmers like the word 'oops' because it reminds us of
 'Object-Oriented Programming,' in case you were wondering) ...

 The issue of aerating the soil hadn't occurred to me.  Planting
 aggressive annuals must have a positive effect for the street trees
 with their roots cutting into the compacted soil.  And what about
 the earthworms?  Can they navigate heavily compacted soil like
 yours?  Should we be putting a worm in every pot -- or in every pit?

 Richard@Flora.Com
 Richard Tryzno Ellsberry | FloraList Operations | Baltimore USDA Zone 7

Follow-Ups: References: