Re: TH: Perennials & Annuals around Trees ...

 Post-To: Tree-House@Majordomo.Flora.Com (Community Forestry) ----------
 -------

>  The issue of aerating the soil hadn't occurred to me.  Planting
>  aggressive annuals must have a positive effect for the street trees
>  with their roots cutting into the compacted soil.  And what about
>  the earthworms?  Can they navigate heavily compacted soil like
>  yours?  Should we be putting a worm in every pot -- or in every pit?

Worms, worms, worms.  Well, some worms can burrow through just about
anything.  But not the red wiggler type that most people use in worm
boxes.  Worms also want to be eating something that is dead.  So, if you
are trying to keep the worms alive you'll need to give them some food like
leaf mulch.

Lisa
New York City