Re: TH: Damaged Trees

 Post-To: Tree-House@Majordomo.Flora.Com (Community Forestry) ----------
 -------
Margaret Booth wrote:
"My question is as follows:  I have a Black Hills Spruce that I planted
2 1/2
years ago which has always been a beautiful tree.  Suddenly it developed
large area where it turned brown and seems to have died.  It doesn't
seem to
be spreading, it is in the middle of the tree, and I am at a loss as to
what
to do.  Any help would be appreciated."

Both of your difficulties are hard to diagnose without seeing the trees.
I would suggest that you contact a local arborist or take photos and a
sample to your County Extension Agent or the U Nebraska plant diagnosis
lab.

I can only give these general comments.  I get a lot of questions from
folks about sick conifers when all that is happening is that the trees
are losing the previous years foliage.  "Evergreens" aren't really
always green. Instead, they lose their old needles only after new ones
are on the tree.  The sudden appearance of brown foliage is
disconcerting, but may be normal.   Also, loss of foliage in the middle
of the crown of a growing spruce is to be expected, as the outer crown
shades the inner."

"Another question is about my Peach Tree.  I has an area at the base of
the
tree where it is leaking sap.  I cleared the mulch away hoping it would
dry
out.  But I don't think it has.  Also quite a few of the leaves are
dropping
off.  Any ideas?"

Here, too, I can only give general comments without seeing the patient.
Peach trees, especially in stressed environments, are very susceptible
to boring insects (somewhat different than, say, boring professors),
particularly the lesser peach tree borer.  If you carefully inspect the
area where the bark is oozing, and lift up the dead bark, you should be
able to see the holes or galleries of the insect.

Unfortunately, these insects are generally fatal, except with vigorous
and expensive treatment with systemic agents. Perhaps some of the
practicing arborists on the list would care to comment on current
practices in treatments for cerambycids and other boring insects.

Good luck.  Let us know what you are able to do, particularly if you can
get a diagnosis from the University.

Cheers,
Tom

--