TH: Royal Paulownia - The Princess-tree ...

 Post-To: Tree-House@Majordomo.Flora.Com (Community Forestry) ----------
 -------
 As promised, following are a couple of excerpations from our
 favorite texts on P. tomentosa, whose name I apologize for
 incorrectly spelling recently.  After these are some current
 quotations from Finland's FOREST ListServ regarding this some-
 times worshipped, sometimes cursed species ...

 SCROPHULARIACEAE - FIGWORT FAMILY

 PAULOWNIA - The Princess-Tree

 Six species of the genus 'Paulownia' grow wild in China, but only
 one has a distribution and a frame warranting better acquaintance,
 particularly now that more of its early history has been discovered.
 This is P. tomentosa, sometimes called P. imperialis, an interesting
 tree in many ways and one that is cultivated on a large scale in
 southern Europe.

 This tree was particularly important in ancient China.  The first
 reports date from about the third century B.C., it being mentioned
 in the world's oldest natural history encyclopedia.  We have learned
 much more, however, from a manuscript devoted entirely to this tree,
 dating from 1049.  A number of species were cultivated at that time,
 but P. tomentosa was by far the most used.

 The reason why the ancient Chinese attached so much importance to
 the tree is now understood.  Products obtained from it were employed
 in beauty preparations.  This made devoting a book to a tree worth
 while even in those days, and it was recorded in great detail what
 parts had to be used to obtain certain effects.  Washing the skin
 and hair with infusions of Paulownia leaves and fruits ensured,
 for example, that the skin would not become ugly and the hair would
 not turn grey.  All manner of illnesses could also be treated with
 products from it, beliefs which no doubt still exist in rural China
 today.

 The wood is unusual.  In recently felled trunks it is soft enough
 to be worked with a knife, but once fully dried out -- which happens
 quickly -- it becomes hard and durable.  It was once much used for
 religious objects ...
                                          _The Glory Of The Tree_ (1966)
 ROYAL PAULOWNIA

 Princess tree / Paulownia tomentosa, (Thunberg) Steudel

 THE royal paulownia presents a strikingly handsome appearance
 in the spring with its large pyramidal clusters of violet-colored
 flowers which fill the air for a considerable distance with their
 fragrant perfume.  Its broad, long-stalked leaves give the tree
 some resemblance to catalpa.  Introduced into this country from
 China and Japan, it has escaped from cultivation and occurs chiefly
 from southern New York and New Jersey southward to Florida and
 Texas, and occasionally in other localities where the winters are
 not too severe.  It prefers deep, rich, moist soil, and is often
 seen in yards and vacant lots in towns and villages ...

 ... The genus Paulownia is named in honor of a Russian princess,
 Anna Paulownia, daughter of Czar Paul I.  'Tomentosa' refers to
 the hairy or tomentose leaves ...

 ... It is often grown as an ornamental foliage plant farther north,
 however, by cutting it back to the ground at the end of the growing
 season.  When this is done, a single shoot will sometimes grow to
 a height of ten to twelve feet [~4-5m] during the summer, producing
 enormous leaves.
                                        _Knowing Your Trees_ (1937-1967)
 If you've read this far, think about that last paragraph -- culti-
 vating ornamental trees in the manner of a perennial flower.  Hmmm ...

 The remaining are cross-postings from the ListServ FOREST.  Richard ...