>  -------
>  Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 11:26:54 -0700 ---------------------------------
>  From: Julian Dunster <jdunster@bigfoot.com>
>  Paul Heeney wrote:
>
> > I, too, have been sort of reading from the sidelines, but thought that
> > maybe someone could peg down another silver maple abnormality. In Whitby,
> > just east of Toronto Canada, a friend of mine is the city arborist and
> > came across some blight that he couldn't ID. The leaves had round, black
> > patches, only about 1/8" or so in diameter, dotting the surfaces. It
> > looked as though a magnifying glass had been held up to the leaves. Any
> > ideas?
> >
> > Paul Heeney
> > Student, York University
> > Toronto Canada
> > pheeney@yorku.ca
>
> Try Tar spot fungus Rhytisma acerinum. Very common in Toronto area on
> maples.
>
>  julian Dunster
>  Bowen Island, BC
Hi Folks

This spring the weather in the upper midwest has been ideal for leaf
attacking fungi including anthracnos, tar spot, and apple scab. I
anticipate anthracnos will prevent leafout of am. sycamore until
mid-July and will cause significant damage to white oak and several
species of ash. Tar spot will effect maples and apple scab will be
significant on nonresistant crab apples. Next years leaf problems is
dependent on weather but is also influenced by how well we collect and
dispose of infected leaves and twigs this fall. In short, dont mow
infected leaves, rake them up and send them to your local composting
operation.

Paul