 Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 08:00:01 +0000
 From: Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTSERV.FUNET.FI>
 To: Recipients of FOREST digests <FOREST@LISTSERV.FUNET.FI>
 Subject: FOREST Digest - 22 Jun 1997 to 23 Jun 1997
 Date:    Sun, 22 Jun 1997 14:09:47 -0700
 From:    Milton Takei <miltont@efn.org>
 Subject: Protest in Eugene, Oregon, USA

To FOREST subscribers:

        I somehow feel obligated to bring the following matter to your
attention.  On Sunday, June 1st, 1997, forty trees in downtown Eugene,
Oregon, USA, were cut down to make way for a parking garage project.
There was a protest.  There was civil disobedience.  Twenty-two people
were arrested.  The _Register-Guard_ (Eugene's mainstream newspaper) on
8 June ran a photograph showing what the camera recorded as the
photographer was being sprayed with pepper spray by the police.  I guess
_the Register-Guard_ doesn't like its photographers to be treated like
rioters.
        The following are excerpts from two letters published in the
_Eugene Weekly,_ 12 June 1997:

        "Mayor Torrey and Police Chief Cooke want us to believe the police
had 'no alternative' but to tear gas and pepper spray protesters at
Sunday's demonstration.  I don't know what parallel universe [explanation
below] they live in, but in this one the police had a very clear
alternative.  Which is the greater crime: to allow people to disrupt
construction of a parking garage for a while, or to attack and torture
those people?"  ["Parallel universe" is a science-fiction term for a
universe similar to, but different from another universe--characters in a
story can travel to and from parallel universes.  The writer wishes to
imply that the political figures in question are out of touch with
reality.]

        "I am a native Eugenian (58 years old) and I was appalled at the
Gestapo tactics of the Eugene Police Department last Sunday in the tree
removal incident.  I never even dreamed I would ever see something like
this in 'my town.'  But it did happen.
        " Granted, the demonstrators weren't blameless, but it seems to me
that a little patience could have gone a long way to ensure a peaceful
demonstration."

        I feel that this incident is symptomatic of something, but what?

        Milton Takei
        Eugene, Oregon, USA
        miltont@efn.org

End of FOREST Digest - 22 Jun 1997 to 23 Jun 1997