TH: Re: wheelbarrows

 Post-To: Tree-House@Majordomo.Flora.Com (Community Forestry) ----------
 -------
 Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 13:35:45 -0400 (EDT)
 From: Grow19@aol.com
 To: bd-l@biodynamics.com, community_garden@ag.arizona.edu
 Cc: Richard@Flora.Com

A question for everyone -- I am developing tool bank for community garden and
neighborhood beautification workdays in Washington DC and would like some
advice about wheelbarrows.

Certainly wheelbarrows are critical when moving mountains of composted leaves
when starting a garden or moving mulch to improve tree boxes, moving manure
to add to the compost pile.  But they are also bulky to carry.

Our goal is to establish a base of tools that can be borrowed by community
groups for one-time workdays or garden startup workdays when many more tools
are needed than will be needed for the long-term. (We will advise on-going
groups to build up a small collection of the tools they will need.)

So the question is, anyone know of wheelbarrows that are sturdy but stack in
some way?  We will most likely be using a standard size pickup truck or cargo
van, especially to start, and need to be as compact as possible.  I have seen
landscaping companies carry wheelbarrows on the roof of the truck cab (etc.)
but this is not a likely scenario given the cost of owning and maintaining
such vehicles.

All advice welcomed.

PS -- any folks running community tool banks -- any other words of experience
welcome.

Thanks, Judy Tiger, GROW