Re: TH: Treetown + request for info.

 Post-To: Tree-House@Majordomo.Flora.Com (Community Forestry) ----------
 -------
 On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Bgingg wrote:

> ... I have a quick request for suggestions
> regarding signage for our new demonstration forest (see snapshots at our
> page address below). We will be installing small signs (common and
> scientific name + perhaps one interesting note - just one sentence) for
> each of our newly planted trees. I've seen a lot of different types out
> there --- engraved vinyl, metal or wood --- and am curious about best
> bets to withstand possible vandalism, weather + be attractive and easy
> to read ...

 Hi Beverly -

 This is an ongoing issue.  I personally believe that the perfect
 'tree tag' has not quite been invented yet and that this is a pivotal
 opportunity for one of our forest engineers out there.  There are
 however some fairly good designs currently available.  One approach
 is to provide more temporary tags, making multiple plastic laminated
 tags for the same tree, to be replaced as each one 'blows away' ...

 One argument for this tack is that whoever walks away with your tag
 might be left with a souvenir that just might teach them a little
 bit about community forestry.  It is recommended that you include
 Latin species names (as you said above), and its continental origins.

 Hope this helps,
 Richard@Flora.Com
 Richard Tryzno Ellsberry | FloraList Operations | Baltimore USDA Zone 7

Follow-Ups: References: