Tt: When the leaves fall ...

 Dear Treetown Gurus -

 One of our colleagues has posed an intriguing question which
 is being forwarded along for your comment.  But first this
 digression: Fall color is itself a beautiful and complex bio-
 chemical phenomenon, made all the more fascinating when one
 concludes that foliage color probably provides no knowable
 evolutionary advantage for a tree -- that it's simply a lucky
 (for us) side-effect of other processes ... or is it ?

 But our question is this: In Baltimore we are enjoying a longer
 and pleasanter autumn this year.  Around here, some of the trees
 have lost all of their leaves already whilst others haven't even
 begun to change yet.  So why is this?  My intuitive reaction
 is that many of those trees are more southerly, like some mag-
 nolias and the crape-myrtles, while others are native farther
 north, like the northern oak species and the (European) beeches.
 So if this is the case, then which is which?  Would a northern
 species drop its leaves earlier, because it is accustomed to an
 earlier winter, or would a northern species actually wait longer,
 holding out for colder climatic triggers which will arrive later
 in this region than they would in say New England?  Or is mine
 in fact not the correct rationale at all -- it may sound logical
 to me, but I cannot figure out which outcome would be predicted ...

 RT Ellsberry
 Treetown ListOp
 Richard@Flora.Com
 www.flora.com