Tt: two comments

Hi!

Richard mentioned the third annual October Tree Fest...  Yes, it
happened again!  We returned to a site along the Gwynns Falls
River that didn't so fare well in the summer draught --this site
is a critical area, being within 1000 feet of tidally effected
water.  Previously, we made a deal with the Dept of Public Works
--if they stopped mowing, we'd plant trees.  Without precedent,
it worked!  In addition to what we planted, the weeds are growing
nicely and it is starting to re-forest itself.  We kept it low
key this year:  about 25 people planted about 60 trees and ate
about 15 pounds of sausage...  Included in the planting is a Bald
Cypress stand which will be visible from the future Gwynns Falls
Greenway.  Fun!

Fall colors?  I don't know why certain species turn at certain
times (but I'm anxious to hear if any body else does!)  On many
occasions, I've plan for the leaves changing.  The easiest
example is Ash, which turn early, and Pears, which turn late...
By interspersing them you have the fall spectacle twice.  It
helps in the big city, where people aren't as attuned to the
change of seasons.

-=G=-