Tt: Re: When the leaves fall ...

 From: "Mark Stephens" <marks@entekird.com>
 To: "Community_Forestry" <Treetown@Majordomo.Flora.Com>
 Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 07:53:25 -0400
 Hi Richard and all,

Don't forget about foiliar flagging.  Some trees, with a seed that needs
transportation, color leaves to attract birds.  Dogwoods and Tupelo come
to mind.  I have seen this theory in at least 3 different books.  Fact
or fiction?  This does not explain why Sugar Maple is so spectacular.

Why leaves fall at different times? Cultivars come from all over the US
and Canada.  I would _guess_ they are on their own schedule.  Let's say
we have a Red Maple cultivar from Canada.  When the daylength is 12
hours cold weather is just around the corner so the leaves fall.  Not so
for a cultivar from a more southerly location.  Of course this assumes
that the tree responds to day length, or actually night length, only.
Maybe it doesn't really make that much difference.  The same species
growing in the same area can lose leaves at different times.  Genetics?
Sort of like loosing your hair, or going grey early like me :-)

I think our fall (SW Ohio) has been extended by lack of rain.  Many
trees colored up last week and dropped.  Still more are going now.  The
White Ash seemed to be hardest hit by our drought.

How is the fall planting season around TreeTown.  Our dirt is like
cement due to the lack of rain.  I managed to get 1 Sassafras planted.
A jackhammer would come in handy.  I still have about 10 trees that I
would like to plant before winter.  But I'm whining now...

---

Mark Stephens - Cincinnati, OH z5
http://w3.one.net/~markws Our Backyard Forest