Re: Tt: RE: fall colors - not always as it seems.

Hi!

The Larch is not the only conifer that looses it needles before winter.  I
can add two to your list:  Bald Cypress and Dawn Redwood...

I am not qualified to answer the question about what evergreens do in the
winter.  ...But, my understanding is this --everybody feel free to
contradict me-(-:  They push extra nutrients up into the needles for the
winter then shut down production (maybe in the reverse order).  Meanwhile,
they can die for lack of water when the temperature gets above freezing,
usually due to high winds.  Soooo, it might be a good idea to water your
fresh evergreen transplants during warm spells in the winter.

Hope this helps,

-=G=-