Re: Tt: RE: fall colors - not always as it seems.

Thank you for adding to the list of deciduous conifers.  Are there others?
I am not very familiar with either Bald Cypress or Dawn Redwood, except in
the latter having to memorize the latin name Metasequoia glyptostroboides.
(Common Bald Cypress is Taxodium distichum)  You may note that I was very
careful in adding the disclaimer that there was "at least one notable
exception" to the evergreen - conifer rule.

I am not qualified either, regarding adaptation to winter conditions by
evergreens.  I would like to hear from some of the physiologists and
botanists in the group.

I however would not think of watering my evergreens in the middle of winter
unless I wanted a skating rink and a dead evergreen.  You see, I live in a
suburb of Minneapolis, toward the Northern edge of USDA zone 4 (-36 deg F).
The soil is usually frozen solid after the first part of December, through
mid March. That is unless we have a winter like last winter, when we had
early heavy snow, wet soil that kept the soil thawed most of the winter.

I laugh at people who say we have hardy Dawn Redwood and Bald Cypress for
this area.

Regarding dessication damage in the winter, my understanding is that it is
a water deficit localized to the exposed parts of the plant, and not a soil
moisture deficit. At least that is the case as I understand it here in
Minnesota.

We all must take care in prescribing to specify for local conditions etc.

Thanks again.

J.L.J.

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997 17:53:01 -0400 (EDT),
Treetown@Majordomo.Flora.Com wrote...
>Hi!
>
>The Larch is not the only conifer that looses it needles before winter.  I
>can add two to your list:  Bald Cypress and Dawn Redwood...
>
>I am not qualified to answer the question about what evergreens do in the
>winter.  ...But, my understanding is this --everybody feel free to
>contradict me-(-:  They push extra nutrients up into the needles for the
>winter then shut down production (maybe in the reverse order).  Meanwhile,
>they can die for lack of water when the temperature gets above freezing,
>usually due to high winds.  Soooo, it might be a good idea to water your
>fresh evergreen transplants during warm spells in the winter.
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>-=G=-

J. L. Johnson

Minnesota Landscape Arboretum