Re: Tt: Treetown Software

Just some thoughts.  Should there be a field specifying N-E-S-W
orientation.  In areas with tall buildings would a line guessing how many
hours of direct light the tree receives make sense?  Should there be
a column indicating whether the tree is in a public or private place.
 Should there be a column about tree pit size and condition?  OK I'll
stop.  These are probably
more important for someone thinking about doing a bit of serious research
than anyone else.

Lisa
New York City
Fall arrived four days ago.

 On Sun, 19 Oct 1997,
RT Ellsberry wrote:

>  To Treetown -
>
>  Before I get too technical, I've been thinking lately about
>  'cosmetic pruning,' the kind where you avoid taking out the
>  whole tree by preserving some part of it.  There are probably
>  great stories out there where some creative surgery solved
>  a serious problem, and also saved a tree's life.  Especially
>  for some older (and in-the-way) tree ...

>  Now what I'm really writing about is that there has been sig-
>  nificant progress toward a friendly Treetown shareware, that will
>  help community groups properly inventory their local forests.  It
>  will run as a standalone app under Windows 95 (apologies), and I
>  think we can reasonably promise its delivery over the web before
>  spring planting (March 98).  The beta model will be offered freely
>  to community tree stewards, probably for the foreseeable future.
>
>  Requesting your feedback on a selection of 'column headers.'  For
>  each individual tree there are 20 fields proposed in the database.
>  ('House' and 'Owner' information will be kept in a separate table.)

>  1. Tree:	999		(IntegerIndex)
>  2. Address:	722		(Number)
>  3. Street:	Anneslie Road	(Text)
>  4. CommonName:	White Oak	(Text)
>  5. Genus:	Quercus		(LatinText)
>  6. Species:	Alba		(LatinText)
>  7. Girth:	9.5		(Number)
>  8. Diameter:	3.2		(Number)
>  9. Spread:	50		(Number)
> 10. Height:	90		(Number)
> 11. InUnits:	Feet		(Feet|Inches|Meters)
> 12. Age:	100		(Number)
> 13. Condition:	Lookin' Good!	(Text)
> 14. Comment:	Recent pruning.	(Text)
> 15. OwnerLName:	Ellsberry	(Text)
> 16. SeeAlso:	721 Anneslie	(Text)
> 17. RecordedBy:	Richard		(Text)
> 18. RecordDate: 10/19/97	(Date)
> 19. (Available)			(Text)
> 20. (Available)			(Text)

>  The 'diameter' field will automatically calculate the 'girth' (circum-
>  ference) and vice-versa.  Also you can change from feet to meters on
>  the fly and the correct values will be displayed.  All columns should
>  be sortable, so that one can locate 'All Quercus' or 'All Trees Over
>  75 Years' or 'All Trees On Anneslie Road.'  This is the current spec
>  sheet, not yet implemented.  Your comments appreciated (on-list or off).
>
>  Richard@Flora.Com
>  Treetown ListOp
>  Baltimore USDA Zone 7

Follow-Ups: References: