Tt: Re: Treetown Software

 On Mon, 20 Oct 1997, Kathie Grace Schreibman wrote:

> Just some thoughts.  Should there be a field specifying N-E-S-W
> orientation.  In areas with tall buildings would a line guessing how many
> hours of direct light the tree receives make sense?  Should there be
> a column indicating whether the tree is in a public or private place.
>  Should there be a column about tree pit size and condition?

 So many folks are sending me such great feedback on designing
 this database, both on-list and off.  Gary and I are discussing
 'pit histories,' relating to M. Bedard's comments on 'vacant'
 (missing?) trees.  There are 4-letter species identifiers, such
 as QUAL for White Oak (Quercus alba).  One of the central design
 considerations should be the needs of community forestry groups,
 such as 'bulk mailings' (or e-mailings, also including zip codes
 and phone numbers).  Keep those letters coming.  It's a challenge
 to keep the project small and friendly, but also to meet the needs
 of as many groups as possible.  The 'history' questions are par-
 ticularly daunting, how does one encapsulate multiple events
 within one column-field, or even more than one?  It is great to
 air these issues early in the development process.  Your comments
 are all very much appreciated.  Talking with Gary tonight, the
 history of a pit, of a site is perhaps more important than that
 of a tree -- what is the street traffic, the light, the water,
 the overhead cables and proximity to buildings?  Knowing that a
 given species has not made it there in the past would be very
 valuable in selecting the next which really  *should* be living
 there.  It is hoped that this project will save communities much
 money and other resources in caring for their local forests.

 RT Ellsberry
 (un)subscribe Requests:
 Richard@Flora.Com
 For Treetown - 'We Rant. We Plant' ...