TT: tree cover

At some point people were wondering about tree cover in cities.  As I
browsed through the December issue of Metro Planner (the New York
City chapter of the American Planning Association's newsletter) the
following popped out.  I'm sorry if it repeats what has been mailed to
this list previously.  I don't remember it being up here.

"Cities should have overall tree coverage of 40 percent to ensure
ecological, economic, and social sustainability, the national conservation
group American Forests says in a report "State of Our Urban Forest,"
issued in September.  The report assesses trends and the health of urban
forests in four cities: Atlanta, Baltimore, Milwaukee and Austin,
according to a news release issued in connection with the organization's
conference in Atlanta in September.  The report quantifies the benefit of
forests in terms of air quality, stormwater management and other factors.
Of the four cities examined, the average tree cover is highest in Austin -
34 percent. "

The American Forests home page is www.amfor.org.

- Lisa
New York City - where the Bradford pears are still orange and crimson.