TT: CF in northeast Thailand

Hello, I'm a uni student/community forester from Ontario, Canada, and am
new to this list. I recently did some research in NE Thailand regarding
NGO CF programs.  Here's the first few paragraphs of my thesis on the
topic. If anyone's interested in learning or discussing more, read on....

If you're interested in forest management in the Temagami region of
northern Ontario, check out my webpage.  Happy trails,

Bob Olajos
rolajos@uoguelph.ca
www.uoguelph.ca/~rolajos

"Reforesting Isaan" by R.J. Olajos, University of Guelph

In June 1997, Siriphat Nanthawong, regional forestry chief for Soeng Sang,
Nakhon Ratchasima province, in northeast Thailand, committed suicide.  He
was despondent over his inability to protect the forests under his care
amidst growing pressures from poor farmers, loggers, the police and
corrupt government officials, many from within his own department.
Through this act, Siriphat attempted to bring attention to the plight of
forests in Thailand, and in particular those of the northeast.

This paper will overview the causes and effects of deforestation in
northeast Thailand, or Isaan, and consider some of the measures being
taken to reverse the resulting social, economic, and environmental
damages.  In particular, it will analyse one community forestry program
implemented by a Thai NGO. Three village case studies will be presented,
conclusions regarding its effectiveness will be outlined, and future
directions will be proposed.