Re: TT: Re: I'm back!

Tom Kimmerer wrote:

> Nope, no mail on the mulberry (as long as its not a white mulberry
> ;>).  I'm curious about the redwood.  Typically, we expect coast
> redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) to survive only along the coastal fog
> belt from S. Oregon to San Francisco.  So, where did you plant it and
> how is it doing?
>
> I am curious to know whether anyone on the list has ever seen a
> redwood growing away from the fog belt.  This would be of great
> interest to me as a plant physiologist. Dawn redwood (Metasequoia
> glyptostroboides) does well in a variety of environments, as does
> giant sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum).  I recall that there were
> two giant sequoias growing in Rochester NY until the late 1960s.  They
> had been collected by an expedition sent by Ellwanger and Barry, the
> pioneering nurserymen, in the late 1800s, and survived until struck by
> lightning in the '60s

There was/is a 35 acre tract of land in south east Texas that had been
planted by a Texan that had been working in California.  The trees, when
I saw them in 1970, were probably 10" in diameter and 30-40 foot tall.
I have recently tried to locate them and have been unsuccessful, I dont
think they have been cut or missing, just that I haven't found the right
location.  Time seems to have dulled my memory.

--
Don Staples
UIN 4653335