TT: Re: I'm back!

John Foy wrote:
>here's what my urban forest looks like:
>
>- Two sweetgums
>- One Coastal Redwood
>- One Ponderosa Pine
>- One Mulberry (I know I'll get some mail on that one!)
>- One Japanese Maple

Nope, no mail on the mulberry (as long as its not a white mulberry ;>).  I'm curious about the redwood.  Typically, we expect coast redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) to survive only along the coastal fog belt from S. Oregon to San Francisco.  So, where did you plant it and how is it doing?

I am curious to know whether anyone on the list has ever seen a redwood growing away from the fog belt.  This would be of great interest to me as a plant physiologist. Dawn redwood (Metasequoia glyptostroboides) does well in a variety of environments, as does giant sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum).  I recall that there were two giant sequoias growing in Rochester NY until the late 1960s.  They had been collected by an expedition sent by Ellwanger and Barry, the pioneering nurserymen, in the late 1800s, and survived until struck by lightning in the '60s