TT: O' Christmas Tree

 Happiest Holidays in TreeTown -

I'm not coming up with any really good Christmas Tree stories tonight
(although I know there's some good ones out there :) ...

It is however encouraging that here in Christian America that trees
play such a potent, living symbolic role engendering the spirit of
New Year's celebrations.  Our state song for example, 'Maryland My
Maryland,' borrows its traditional melody from 'Christmas Tree, O'
Christmas Tree,' itself an Anglicization of the German 'Tannenbaum,
O' Tannenbaum' (sp?).

Our dominant conifer is probably the White Pine, although there are
many other native Pines like the Loblolly, plus the Yews, Junipers
(their berries flavoring Gin) and Hemlocks.  Hollies are common, I
don't know where Mistletoe comes from -- is that a British import?

Sometimes in Baltimore we bring a young balled-and-burlapped evergreen
inside to be decorated for the holidays, later planted on the street.

We know that cut trees are sad, that aluminum and plastic ones are too..
Most of the live ones come from specialized nurseries, grown for cutting.
It's timely that folks have such interest in the Redwoods -- the greatest
Cristmas Trees in the world, long ago common around the world.  Here we
enjoy our Bald-Cypresses, great trees also.  In a few days I'll quote
from the TreeTown library about Mistletoe, and why are they a symbol of
love?

 Richard@Flora.Com
 TreeTown ListOp
 Baltimore USDA Zone 7