Re: TT: special trees

 On Mon, 22 Dec 1997, C2ALTS wrote:

> By the way, I've been lurking on TreeTown for a long time and thoroughly
> enjoying it. My husband and I have a small consulting business helping
> businesses with waste reduction and recycling.  In former lives I have worked
> as a zoo keeper and as a native plant horticulturist for a botanical garden,
> among other things.  I am generally a pretty pragmatic and "rational" person,
> and I'm not even from California (Nashville is my other home): my sense of our
> Valley Oak's spirit comes not from some "new age" romanticism but from some
> place deeper and more personal!
>
> -Connie Cloak

 Dear Connie -

 Thank you so much for the beautiful report on your Valley Oak.  You
 can bet how envious many of us are.  Over the past couple of years,
 at this time of the season it's been a rather slow period here in
 TreeTown, but not this year!  As your ever-fretting ListOp, it has
 been such a perfect Christmas / Chanaka / Kwaanza / Solstice / New
 Years gift for me to read so many heart-felt postings from our (merci-
 fully) diverse membership of tree huggers (yes, even California new-
 agers are welcome on this list :)!

 And speaking of 'mercy,' can I give my big thanx to some of our alumni
 who have suffered through my naive rants to keep this all on the big
 road.  To my dear friend Gary, greening the streets of Baltimore, and
 my brother John, and Ariko who's in the hospital right now, and Vicki
 down in DC, Rob Timm on the radio in DC, to our old friends across the
 pond Myk and Geraint in the UK, Herzog and Guido in Germany, Mark re-
 storing his backyard (native) forest out in Ohio, David Doyle and his
 Wildlife Ecology Digest out on the West Coast, Lisa and her Guerrilla
 Gardeners up in NYC, Jack and the Community Gardeners up in Connecticut,
 Judy and the GROW folks in DC, Rick Holt and the Park Rangers out of
 Annapolis (Md), and especially to our hardest working reporter on the
 wonders of woody ecology, Tom Kimmerer in Kentucky.  To Laura in
 Pennsylvania ...

 And to some of our newer correspondents, Mary Bedard and Liz and B Gingg
 and Tony also on the West Coast, Aesculus and Dudley Hartel and Don Staples
 and Brian and Dave down in the SE US, Paul at the Benedictine Monastery
 in Minnesota, Robert in Canada, Hill in Tennessee and Whitey in Vermont,
 sincerest apologies to everyone whose name I misspelled.  To all of the
 others of you who I inadvertantly forgot to mention, it's been a very
 good year, thanx.  TreeTown is in good shape right now and will be going
 through some changes soon, calculated to keep us on-line for the next
 few years.  Peace, love and more beautiful trees to you and yours in
 1998.

 Richard Tryzno Ellsberry
 TreeTown ListOp
 Baltimore USDA Zone 7