TT: Re: Re: Forest -vs- Trees

I gradually replaced nonnative invasive shrubs and vines(Ligustrum
sinensis, Kudzu)
with natives and have had very good success. I used deciduous
hollies,Bottlebrush
Buckeye, Hydrangeas,Crossvine, American Wisteria(W. frutescens) and others.
It
was quite successful and is much more estheitc. Try a gradual replacement
if possible. Merry Christmas to all the Tree Towners
craig/athens,ga.
----------
> From: Steve Morse <skgmonbi@seanet.com>
> To: Community_Forestry <TreeTown@Majordomo.Flora.Com>
> Subject: TT: Re: Forest -vs- Trees
> Date: Wednesday, December 24, 1997 11:40 AM

> The largest problem with ordinances that try to preserve understory is
> where do we start and stop enforcement.  In "No cut" buffers the rules
are
> generally that the area needs to be left in native vegetation but what
> about noxious weeds?  In the general landscape, it would be better if the
> understory is not disturbed but it become a real enforcement nightmare to
> try to control behavior at this level.  In many of the areas on our
Island