TT: Re: Forest -vs- Trees

 Merry Christmas to TreeTown -

 Mark Stephens, in Ohio, has long been one of our best reporters,
 writing persuasively on the need to restore native trees into our
 local ecosystems.  I think many will agree that his recent letter
 was extremely thought-provoking.  It effectively 'drilled down'
 several pivotal issues (to borrow an old street forester's term --
 now apparently the whole Internet's buzz-word of the week).  Below
 we are simply reiterating some of the latest comments.  It is hoped
 that such 'deeper' ecological thinking and political strategizing
 will continue to inform the discussions here, into 1998 ...

 On Wed, 24 Dec 1997, aesculus wrote:

> I gradually replaced nonnative invasive shrubs and vines(Ligustrum
> sinensis, Kudzu)
> with natives and have had very good success. I used deciduous
> hollies,Bottlebrush
> Buckeye, Hydrangeas,Crossvine, American Wisteria(W. frutescens) and others.
> It
> was quite successful and is much more estheitc. Try a gradual replacement
> if possible. Merry Christmas to all the Tree Towners
>
> craig/athens,ga.

 Richard Ellsberry again -

 Thank you for your input, Steve and Craig.  I confess outright that
 much of this is over my head, but we have already heard testimony that
 our colleague Gary Letteron has probably independently convinced the
 City of Baltimore to halt plantings of the non-native Norway Maple
 (apparently North America's *favorite* street tree).  This is not a
 condemnation of these highly desirable trees, only that they should
 *not* be introduced into delicate (exotic) ecosystems.  Morse's argu-
 ments on the difficulties of enforcement are well taken, but these do
 not negate furthering efforts to influence current planting policies.

 One problem that each of us contiues to face is that of buying 'local'
 plants from the local nursery or garden center.  Often the workers
 there simply don't know, the pots are not correctly marked, native
 species are cross-bred with others or grafted onto others, or imported
 from non-native populations.  Again it is exciting to collect one's
 planting stocks from local forests.  We have long advocated trans-
 planting trees from areas being demolitioned.  This can be a wonder-
 ful challenge, to see how many (or how big) the trees one can save.
 And if we lose a few in the process, hey, we tried ...

 Just some personal thoughts on a very interesting thread.

 (un)subscribe Requests:
 Richard@Flora.Com
 Baltimore USDA Zone 7