TT: prattle

As we start the new year, I thought this little timepiece might
give us perspective.
        %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

From:  The Sun, Baltimore, Tuesday Morning, September 22, 1959:

                 "Would Prefer More Trees"

"I got up very early this morning and it was clear--there was no
haze at all," he said.

"Of all the cities I have seen in the United States, this is the
most beautiful city."

Then, after a pause, he added, thoughtfully:

"But I would prefer more trees."

One of the State Department's Russian-speaking officials who
rushed up about that time explained to him that San Francisco has
lots of trees in the suburbs.

"But I want them right here in town," said Khrushchev.

Walking on down California street, the Premier suddenly noticed
that he had started to go downhill very steeply.

           %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

That's all I have!  If the article continued on another page, I
do not know.  But it seems that not everything has changed in 39
years.  I often wonder how American cities got to look like
this... the lack of trees and all.  Sometimes I think it must
have been when plumbing and electric wires gained prominence.
Older people in Baltimore tell of a time when "they" cut down
every tree on a (given) street and concreted the pits.  It must
have happened.

Last summer, we jack hammered 3 pits beside an old Methodist
Church and planted them with trees.  When we were done, a little
old lady came up and said "I remember when there were 3 trees in
those exact places."  She went home and brought back an old
photograph of the church, and sure enough, there were 3 large
trees in the same locations we had just planted.  Go figure.
It's a shame, that lady disappeared (with her photograph) before
I could find out who she was...

Happy New Year,

-=G=-