TT: Nodes

 Dear TreeTown -

 We've never actually discussed this bit of tree physiology, which
 seems to play a (symbolic) role in broad areas of mathematics,
 geography, electronics and communications (the Internet being the
 supreme manifestation).  Our 'Family Tree' (evolutionary tree) is
 only one of many more examples of branching forms (roads, tracks
 and other delivery systems) -- what about world languages?

 One intense part of all this, as I dimly comprehend it, is The
 Node.  We humans are accustomed during development of cells wildly
 differentiating into all manner of properties and functions -- bone,
 teeth, nails, nerves, glands, blood, hair, muscle, skin, eyes ...

 Well think about these trees for a bit.  A branch is growing along,
 adding on thousands upon thousands of identical cells, forming a
 relatively simple, lengthening tube form.  Then something happens,
 but what ? Some catastrophe happens.  Differentiation.  Bifurcation.

 So what does go on?  What happens to that thousand-thousandth cell
 that triggers it to go against the grain and start up a new branch?

 Some of you folks reading this might be thinking now, what is Richard
 talking about -- this is all too obvious.  But I suspect that branching
 is an extremely complex phenomenon.  Real Einstein stuff -- like
 Mandlebrodt's infinitely swirling geometrical figures.  He was the
 father of chaos you know ...

 RT Ellsberry
 Richard@Flora.Com
 TreeTown ListOp