Re: TT: Nodes

 On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, RT Ellsberry wrote:

>  ... Our 'Family Tree' (evolutionary tree) is
>  only one of many more examples of branching forms (roads, tracks
>  and other delivery systems) -- what about world languages? ...

 Replying to my own post: As has likely happened to many of you before,
 after I hastily composed the above rant on tree branching, I thought
 of a whole lot of things that I neglected to mention.  The 'tree model'
 is obviously central to the way that we look at many things.  One tree
 form that came to mind was rivers, which clearly fits the model.

 But upon second look, rivers are upside-down trees, or if you prefer --
 backwards in time!  Their origins are spread out already, and then
 coalesce toward a single 'trunk.'  Their branches, streams, join into
 one another.  The 'catastrophes' -- the nodes -- occur when streams
 randomly collide.  The branches exist earlier, the trunk later ...

 Just some thoughts, thanx again for your kind indulgence.

 Richard@Flora.Com
 For TreeTown - 'We rant. We plant' ...

Follow-Ups: References: