TT: More Locusts

Whew, what have Ron and I started?  Wasn't there a 60s' spy
thriller called "The Day of the Locust"?

It is reassuring to know that thornlessness is a natural trait
that passes through the generations.  I take back all the nasty
stuff I said about thornless locusts, but not about seedless
native trees--that's a secret plot by nurserymen to make people
spend their money!!! :-)  Personally, I like to believe my trees will
carry on after the next World War...  heh, heh...

Tom is correct, genetic diversity is the big issue, especially if
you believe that globe weather is changing.  And what can we do
about improving the ratio of non-pioneer species?

Here at Hollins, we're raising a broad range of trees in our
nursery (all from seed, even though we don't do that part yet).
When ever possible, we plant Oak, Ash, Chestnut, and the like on
our streets.  And I'm waiting for the next bumper crop of acorns
--we collect them in shopping bags, then fling them in "no mow"
areas to augment our transplants.  (That flinging part is a lot
of fun!  Great for the kiddies!)

Finally, black locusts are great for fences, even when they are'nt
alive.  The wood is quite rot resistant and makes great fence posts.

Looking forward to the best spring planting ever for us all,

-=G=-