TT: Re: Locust, Diatribe II

As a horticulturist involved mainly in propagtion, I find your comments
interesting.
We are unfortunately stuck in the "Ligustrum Cycle", a theory involving
plants grown
by  nurseries, installed by landscape contractors, purchased by retail
customers,
and "specked" in by landscape architects and thus a cycle. It is a question
where it begins and ends. I do not propagate inferior trees inspite of
numerous requests and thus an easy sale(ornamental pears,weeping
willows,etc.),but I have few requests for trees like American
Yellowwood(C.kentuckea) andChinesePistache(P.chinensis) that are superior
but are slow sellers.
I first heard of the "Ligustrum Cycle" from the late J.C.Raulston from NCSU
when I was a lowly undergraduate 10 + years ago. He is greatly missed.
Good topic, Mr. Kimmerer. BTW, 'Inermis' is the only one I would grow.

craig/athens,ga.

----------
> From: Thomas W. Kimmerer <tkimmer@pop.uky.edu>
> To: Community_Forestry <TreeTown@Majordomo.Flora.Com>
> Subject: TT: Locust, Diatribe II
> Date: Thursday, January 08, 1998 11:13 AM

> Some notes on locusts, and a further diatribe on genetic diversity.  You
can
> find more on my web site, listed below.
>
> 1.  Thornlessness in locusts cultivars do not arise from breeding and
> selection, but from people finding spontaneous mutants in the field.  The
> very popular moraine locusts (thornless honeylocust, Gleditsia
triacanthos
> inermis) are propagated as seedlings and clones from a single huge tree
in
> western Wisconsin.  These breed true, so seedlings are also thornless.
Some