TT: Cottonwood trees

I guess I should introduce myself...I've been enjoying Tree Town for
some time, quietly in the corner.  I help compile content for a website
called TreeLink (http://www.treelink.org/). The site is still very much
under construction, but it's evolving and all the main parts should be
up this quarter.  The website is designed to be a resource for urban and
community forestry, and it has a pretty comprehensive links list.

That out of the way, here's my question.  I picked up an e-mail sent to
the site, written by a distraught homeowner in Nevada.  She says that
their homeowners' association has asked them to remove the cottonwood
tree from their yard, asserting that cottonwoods have "far reaching
roots that can destroy plumbing systems, uproot sidewalks, driveways,
fences, walls and [that there are] numerous other problems associated
with this tree."  She wants to know if they are correct, and if I can
find any resources that will help her defend her tree against these
charges...

Our advisory committee has quite a few experts that will help field
these questions, but y'all seem to be able to provide a lot of wisdom on
tree species, so I thought I'd send the question on to you folks.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Sherri

Follow-Ups: References: