TT: Re: Cottonwood trees

 Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 09:28:53 -0700 (MST)
 From: Scott Golden <sgolden@vth.colostate.edu>
 To: Community_Forestry <TreeTown@Majordomo.Flora.Com>

	What species or cultivar is this particular tree, and how close
are the supposedly threatened structures that were mentioned?  Most
Populus species tend to have a shallow root system due to their tolerance
of oyxgen deprivation.  However, potential damage may be mitigated by root
barriers and adequate soil compaction, i.e. all roots are going to take
the easiest route.  Forward more information and maybe we can pursue this
further.  Native cottonwoods are magnificent trees and if the tree is not
a hazard with potential targets it would be well worth preserving.

My 2 cents worth :-)

Regards,
Scott Golden
ISA Certified Arborist