Re: TT: Re: Cottonwood trees

> > That out of the way, here's my question.  I picked up an e-mail sent to
> > the site, written by a distraught homeowner in Nevada.  She says that
> > their homeowners' association has asked them to remove the cottonwood
> > tree from their yard, asserting that cottonwoods have "far reaching
> > roots that can destroy plumbing systems, uproot sidewalks, driveways,
> > fences, walls and [that there are] numerous other problems associated
> > with this tree."  She wants to know if they are correct, and if I can
> > find any resources that will help her defend her tree against these
> > charges...
> >
> > Our advisory committee has quite a few experts that will help field
> > these questions, but y'all seem to be able to provide a lot of wisdom on
> > tree species, so I thought I'd send the question on to you folks.

I think it is less likely for them to prove the potential damage, but
they may have restrictions or codes within the association bylaws that
allow them to meddle in your business.  The rule of thumb is that the
root system will normally not extend past the drip line of the crown on
an open grown species.  There are exceptions, one being a water source
that the tree will grow roots to.

A good arborist can defend the tree, and owner, from the claims, but not
from the legal restrictions.

Lawyer time.

--
Don Staples