Date: Fri, 09 Jan 1998 10:29:47 -0500
To: ac083@freenet.carleton.ca
From: Gerry Hawkes <ghawkes@sover.net>
Subject: pednet: Ice Storm
Cc: pednet@flora.ottawa.on.ca
Sender: owner-pednet@flora.ottawa.on.ca

This message sent to pednet by Gerry Hawkes <ghawkes@sover.net>.

David -

I am not sure what the ice storm situation is in the Ottawa area, but the
trees are being hit hard here.  I attrubute much of the weather anomolies
and the weak condition of the trees to the long term effects of air
pollution.  As you well know, automobiles are a significant contributor to
the pollution problem.

As I type it sounds like a war zone all around my office located at 1600
feet elevation here in the Green Mountains of central Vermont.

Since about 3 p.m. yesterday, limbs and trees have been snapping and
popping like gunshots from all directions.  Many limbs the size of my arm
have been broken out of tree tops (we have mostly sugar maple) and other
trees up to 18" dbh have had major forks break off or have broken of in
mid-trunk.  From news reports, the damage occurring here is much less
severe than in upstate New York, northern Vermont and New Hampshire,
Quebec, and parts of Ontario.

While the icing is heavy, damage is considerably worse than I have seen in
previous ice storms.  I attribute this to the general weakening I have
noticed in the limbs and trunks of trees over the past few years.

I am able to get this report out since the icing ends just below 1600 feet
and only two of our 4 phone lines have been taken out by limbs falling
further down the lines.

Icing is expected to continue through tomorrow morning.

- Gerry Hawkes
  Eco Systems, Inc. & Bike Track, Inc.
  Woodstock,  Vermont

  www.biketrack.com