TT: Re: Live Oak

 On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, aesculus wrote:

> There is a Southern Magnolia that has shown cold hardiness to -25F,
> Bracken's
> Brown Beauty. There  is a mass planting in Cinncinnati(sp) and has beaten
> the odds. So Yankees that want to take a chance,try it but please leave the
> skirt !

 Craig/Athens,Ga.
 Thank You Craig 'Aesculus' in Georgia -

For backing me up on the Live Oak thing, on which I went somewhat
overboard.  But hey, I'm entitled to a favorite tree, and Quercus
virginiana is probably that for now.  What a beauty.  OK, so it used
to be exotic Red Maples, Weeping Willows.  Most of what I know about
trees I learned from TreeTown reports (shameless self-serving plug).

I can't be the only one who's grateful for your update on cold-hardy
Southern Magnolias (M. grandiflora).  That is both exciting (hey Lisa
in NYC :), and complicated when species have their range synthetically
extended, even if by a mechanism as 'benign' as genotype selection.  A
few years back I saw a spectacular one in a park in central California.

I am anxious to hear more about the plantings in Cincinatti, along with
the ecological implications.  For those of us who still love non-natives,
we can always travel to visit them, again like your Live Oaks.

On an unrelated aside, Nat'l Public Radio reported last week that the
modern suburban lawn was precisely described in a landscaper's text back
in the 1880s by an author named 'Scott,' unaffiliated with the grass
seed company.  Curious historians will want to locate this extremely
influential book.

 Richard@Flora.Com
 RT Ellsberry, TreeTown ListOp

Follow-Ups: References: