TT: Re: Re: Live Oak & Lawns

-----Original Message-----
From: Shaub Dunkley <sdunkley@mindspring.com>
To: Community_Forestry <TreeTown@Majordomo.Flora.Com>
Date: Thursday, January 22, 1998 10:09 PM
Subject: TT: Re: Live Oak & Lawns

... The suburban lawn as a landscape feature is in
desperate need of "taste" change. There is an enormous waste of water,
fertilizer, petroleum, pesticides and other commodities associated with
the
maintenance of the "lawn" as we stylize it. In keeping to the core topic
of
this listserve, the lawn represents the major land use obstacle to the
development of forest canopy in our suburban areas. Native trees cannot
regenerate themselves in areas of maintained lawn. ....

-----------------

YEA!  Another lawn hater.  Great minds must think alike (hehe)  The
biggest challenge seems to be changing a persons ideas about beauty and
nature.  A forest is beautiful, but not in my front yard, wildflowers
are beautiful but not in my front yard, etc.  I guess I'm too ignorant
to understand why my front yard can't be a prairie, woodland, forest.  I
don't need a lawn there, yet I keep some grass to prevent a turf war
(pun intended).  Mowing the grass is easy, forest maintenance is not?  I
better get off my soapbox now. :-)

---

Mark W Stephens (markws@one.net) - Cincinnati, OH  Zone 5
http://w3.one.net/~markws - Our Backyard Forest