Re: TT: Re: Re: Live Oak & Lawns

Please don't mind me - I do have a problem with my live oaks.

I can't seem to find an answer - maybe someone here will have one.

I live in nw Florida - and we have a tan fungus that kills our live
oaks.  I begins as innocuous looking patches of beige - looks like maybe
a lichen.  Then it spreads.  The branches which it covers, finally die
and "self prune", but some of those branches are very big, and the trees
very, very high.

My husband feels it is spread by birds and squirrels.  That seems
reasonable, though fungi spores are airborne.  I have HUGE trees over
the horse corral and over the house.  I see specks on the lower trunks
forming and several branches are infected and I was wondering if a mild
Clorox bath would help.

Also - I am a great admirer of letting "lawns" go wild with indigenous
plants.  I only have a small strip of plantable "garden" because of the
donkeys and the horse, which is electric fenced.  But I'll tell you, I'm
the only yard with butterflies!

Thanks to all for any help.

May

Follow-Ups: References: