Re: TT: Re: Re: Live Oak & Lawns

May;
I am not familiar with details, but there is a wilt disease which causes
decline and death of live oak. I have seen reference to much occurrence of
it in Texas. Maybe e-mail or call to Texas experts will help. However, I
recommend you contact your county's Cooperative Extensive Service forester
or horticulturist first. He/she should help you get an answer to your
problem.  Let's hope it's not the wilt! And DON'T apply any Chlorox! That
would only make things much worse!
At 04:30 PM 1/24/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Please don't mind me - I do have a problem with my live oaks.
>
>I can't seem to find an answer - maybe someone here will have one.
>
>I live in nw Florida - and we have a tan fungus that kills our live
>oaks.  I begins as innocuous looking patches of beige - looks like maybe
>a lichen.  Then it spreads.  The branches which it covers, finally die
>and "self prune", but some of those branches are very big, and the trees
>very, very high.
>
>My husband feels it is spread by birds and squirrels.  That seems
>reasonable, though fungi spores are airborne.  I have HUGE trees over
>the horse corral and over the house.  I see specks on the lower trunks
>forming and several branches are infected and I was wondering if a mild
>Clorox bath would help.
>
>Also - I am a great admirer of letting "lawns" go wild with indigenous
>plants.  I only have a small strip of plantable "garden" because of the
>donkeys and the horse, which is electric fenced.  But I'll tell you, I'm
>the only yard with butterflies!
>
>Thanks to all for any help.
>
>May

Shaub Dunkley