TT: Pecan nut trees

I am busy reclaiming my suburban lawn area here in South Africa
"yard by yard' ( except we work in metres here ... so it's metre by
metre)
by attempting to establish a forest garden using our indigenous
afromontane forest tree species ... the effort so far has been
described by one neighbour as a disgrace to the neighbourhood ...
the golden moles that aerate and fertilize my soil tend to migrate
outwards and wreck his perfect turf ... thank you to Tree Town
for the latest lawn discussions for keeping my spirits up !

Although I am concentraing on our indigenous trees for the garden
I would like the garden to produce fruits, nuts & berries and have to
use
exotic species for that.  Am I likely to have any success with Pecan
nuts ?  What is the botanical name for the pecan & where does
it originate from ?

I live at an altitude of 1400m in a mountain mistbelt at latitude 25
degrees south.  The rainfall is in excess of 1500mm a year ( mostly
summer).
Average summer temperature is 13 to 22 degrees centigrade.
Average winter temperature 4 to 16 degrees centigrade with some
frost.  Forestry in this area is mono-cropping with
Pinus taeda, Pinus elliottii from the USA and Eucalyptus grandis
from Australia.

Carolyn.