TT: Re: History of Environmentalism

On Sat, 31 Jan 1998, Lisa Schreibman wrote:

> I'd also go to the orignial literature and not bother with the derivative
> stuff if I had a lot of time on my hands.  Anything by John Muir, Aldo
> Leopold, Rachel Carson, Barry Commoner, Paul Erlich and the Wilsons would
> do.
>
> That's my short list for the day.
>
> Lisa
> New York City

 Thanks Lisa -

Both Lisa in NYC & Myk in the UK have forwarded to us the funny ransom
note (from the trees) that is cirulating the 'net these days.  You
should be receiving Myk's right about now.  For early writers / theorists
/ activists, landscape architect Frederick Law Olmstead was a true
patron saint of Community & Urban Foresters -- as evidenced today by
NYC's Central Park, among considerable other projects.  FLO saw cities
as pockets of green parks, networked to each other by greenways which
would allow continuous corridors for wildlife to migrate along.  What
a genius.  On the other end of the scale was his contemporary Scott
(in the 1880's -- not of the grass seed co).  He authored the definitive
treatise on the proper caring for a suburban lawn, which survives to
this day as the quintessential model.  Unfortunately our crack TreeTown
research team has not as yet been able to locate this influential work.

Richard@Flora.Com
TreeTown ListOp
Baltimore USDA Zone 7