Re: TT: History of Environmentalism

I would highly recommend these two books by Roderick Frazier Nash:
Wilderness and the American Mind
The Rights of Nature

For a good summary of the notion that we are excempt from ecological
constraints and how this worldview is changing try:
Catton, W. R. 1980. Overshoot: The Ecological basis of Revolutionary
Change. Univ. Ill. Press, Urbana

Also an excellent review from the point of law and society is:
Bean, M.J. 1983. The evolution of National Wildlife Law. Praeger: New York

And finally, for a concise historical review of ecological restoration
told from the story of a salt marsh in an Urban environment see:
Casagrande, D.G. 1997. The Full Circle: A historical context for urban
salt marsh restoration. In D. G. Casagrande (ed.) Restoration of an urban
salt marsh: an interdisciplinary Approach. Bulletin 100. Yale School of
Forestry and Environmental Studies, New Haven CT.

I think this last one should be in the Univ. Minn. library - good luck